Thursday, March 27, 2014

Orphanage Visit

Yesterday was an exhausting day. I was so anxious about taking MinLan back to the orphanage and the possibility of us meeting her foster parents. Of course this is a once in a lifetime chance to meet them so we wanted to try but I also knew that is could possibly be pretty devastating for our sweet girl.  

To start, we left the hotel at 8:30 am to head to get her TB test. But as soon  as we started driving I realized I had forgotten gifts for some little ones in the orphanage! I asked our guide to go back and with traffic and turning around it took us like thirty minutes! ACK!!!! We had only just turned out of the hotel when I asked! Traffic here is INSANE!!!!!

So, all of our gifts In hand, we headed for our TB test. They do not do the simple scratch test here, they do a blood draw. The only good thing about it is that you do not have to come back and get it checked.

They took MinLan in a room with two nurses and mommy had to wait outside.  In just a few seconds one nurse comes out and grumbles something to our guide. She said they had to get a THIRD nurse to help them.  This girl is feisty!!!! It took FOREVER to get her blood...it was hot in the building and I began to feel like I was going to pass out. Praise The Lord I stayed on my feet and we were quickly on our way. She had band aids on both arms. Apparently they must have stuck her twice.

So then we drove the two hours to her orphanage. We saw no children at first. Our guide said they were all napping. We got to walk around the common areas but did not get to go into the baby room where MinLan would have been as an infant.

We saw classrooms and play areas.  Our guide told us that the typical kids in the orphanage go to school outside in the community and that the children with special needs go to school in the orphanage. Her orphanage also houses adults...kind of like where you might go for a government sponsored retirement home. But trust me, this is not lush and fabulous. 

Her foster parents lived a distance away and were not able to come. I'm glad I tried to meet them but also think it might have been best for MinLan not to see them again. I wish I could have met them myself. Thanks to everyone who prayed faithfully for us to have a good visit. Your prayers were felt.

Sorry about so many dark photos. They had the lights off and I couldn't get great shots. Can't wait to get home to my computer and edit them!


Outside the entrance to enter the children's part.



Inside the gate.





Recognize this little red things from some of MinLan's updates? :-)



It was in this room that the very first video we saw of MinLan was filmed. 



We were able to meet several children with Down syndrome! A couple of them have mommas already coming for them!!!! I'll ask their permission to share those photos and hopefully share tomorrow. My sweet friend Sara asked me to get photos of a few other children to help advocate for them. The shots were not great because of the light so I'll edit at home before I share here. 

Our guide has one little boy with Down syndrome that he just loves. He talked about him for a long time on our trip and asked if we wanted to meet him. He was PRECIOUS!!!!! So sweet and active...typical boy. He just needs a momma and daddy to love him. I'll post more about him when I can get some more info.


That boy is a hugger!!!! He just kept hugging on Ellie!!!!  So sweet!!!


Next we got to eat a simple lunch prepared by the orphanage staff. I don't know why but this part completely stressed me out! Ellie ate lots of hers. I just ate rice and fed MinLan rice. I am sooooooo not a food adventurist! I tried the white stuff thinking it was chicken.......yeah, it wasn't chicken. ACK!! 



If you know me well, you know I love penguins. Check out these penguin trash cans!!!! Oh my gracious!!! I wish I could have paid them for one and shipped it home! Ha!


Recognize the piano and the coffee table from MinLan's updates?




For all you Bon Jovi fans out there (Brandi Reyes)....these signs were everywhere.


These were the two people who handle all the adoption related stuff at the orphanage. I'll have to be sure to get their names from our guide. They brought her to us on gotcha day and then helped us around at the orphanage. I asked about some of her baby pictures and they said they would email them to our guide. Woohoo!!!! (Sorry for the blurry photo...Richard our guide needs some photo taking lessons! Ha! His wife Alexa does much better.) :-)


This wall is in the lobby and I asked our guide about it. He said it was from a speech from one of their leaders about how it is important to take care of children and the children with special needs.


Next our guide asked if we wanted to go and see her "finding spot" since it was an hour away. Ummmmm.....yeah!!! We certainly did not come all this way to let an hour be an issue. Our guide was very sweet and did not mind taking us but I think he got stressed and confused several times with his GPS. The only info that we had said that it was at a furniture center. When we arrived, the place was HUGE! There was no way to know the exact spot so I just got some pictures of the building and was able to shed tears where her journey to us started. If not for this spot, then she wouldn't be ours today. It was very heartbreaking to try and imagine how her birth mother must have felt to be the one leaving her. I am so grateful that she left her in a place where she would be found. 



The white letters on the left apparently say Shenzhen Furnture Center.


We came back to our room, played with MinLan for a bit, praying to not have a repeat of the day before. She did start to get upset but I pulled out some yogurt melts, yogurt raisins and noodles and she didn't get too upset. 


We def had some good moments at bedtime last night. She cried every time I laid her down and even stood up in the crib with her arms up to reach me. I finally had to just stand beside her bed until she fell asleep. She didn't want me to touch her but she didn't want me to leave either. Good sign! Progress!

Today we get to go to the pearl market and to the island to do a little shopping. Hoping to find some cute shoes for the little girls and a treat to take home to the kids. Nice to not have any official appointments today. Whew.......

As I type this MinLan is laying on my shoulder, sucking her tongue and sleeping quietly. This is truly the best feeling....I have loved her for so long and now get to hold her forever. God is so good.



Love you all,
Jenifer

























1 comment: